Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Great weekend

This past weekend I was out on Lil Provo for two days.  Sunday was a nice day and it was my first mates first day to take the helm.  I wanted to give him a chance to learn more about sailing the boat.  We headed for the Verrazanno Bridge in New York with a light wind.  I tried to teach him how to find the best direction with the wind.  After a while he caught on and off we were, cruising about three knots.  We made it into the NY waters and turned around to head back.  I was trolling a bucktail behind the boat as we sailed back from New York and suddenly the pole bent in half.  I grabbed the pole and felt a heavy load on the pole, but it felt like dead weight.  As I pulled it a little more I felt the fish on the other end shaking it's head.  The first mate (Blue) grabbed the net and was ready for whatever I brought back to the boat.  As it got closer I saw something, I thought is was a large ray.  As I got it closer I could see that it was a nice size Flounder (Fluke here in NJ). Blue netted it up and brought it into the cockpit where I placed it in a bucket to take home and clean. It was 19-1/2" and weighed almost 3-1/2 pounds.  This totally amazed me as Fluke feed on the bottom and will come off the bottom a little ways to get something, but to catch one trolling totally amazed me.  

On Monday, my wife and I went out for a sail.  We started around 11:00am and there was no wind, so we traveled by motor to Staten Island and found some wind there.  I had to keep the bimini up due to the sun and heat. We were miles from shore and the sea was very calm, it was a nice mellow sail. The bimini does a great job of hiding you from the heat. We sailed for a few hours and headed back to the harbor. 
Labor weekend is coming.  We expect to be sailing a lot, provide hurricane Earl leaves us alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment