Friday, September 10, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend

The memorial day weekend this year started with a surprise.  We were blessed with a hurricane skirting along the New Jersey coast line.  Many friends asked me what are you going to do with your boat if the hurricane hits us.  I said I have insurance and I have faith in the guy that runs the place I keep my boat.  Many were surprised at this statement, but it was the truth.  We were to possibly get hit by hurricane Earl on Friday. We ended up very lucky with it skirting along the coast.  It created havoc with the waves and winds, but did not cause any real damage.
On Saturday I was hoping to have some fun sailing the remains of hurricane Earl.  I packed up my truck and headed down to Keyport. When I entered Keyport I tried to look out on the water to see if I could see my boat.  They mooring field was pretty empty and many pulled or moved their boat due to the pending storm.   As I turned the corner to head to the boat yard, I saw all these masts sticking up from the boatyard and immediately knew they had pulled all the boats out of the water.  The yard was packed!  There was barely room to park or even turn around.  I immediately looked out on the water to confirm that Lil Provo was on land and not sitting on her mooring.  She wasn't there.  Now I had to try to find her among this yard of boats.  I glanced around and saw and immediately spotter her sitting on her trailer.  Well there wasn't much to do now except head back home and hope they would get her in the water ASAP.
On Sunday morning I picked up my first mate and brought him down to the yard with me.  When we arrived, the lot was emptier than Saturday, which means they started placing boats back in the water.  However, Lil Provo was still sitting on her trailer.  We hung out in the boat yard for a couple hours seeing how much growth we had on the bottom of the boat and just  looking around at the other boats.  After a while we packed it in and headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment