Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The move of spring

The first day of spring brought some nice warm temperatures. This was the sign to clear a path and move the boat from deep in the back yard to the driveway. This will make working on it so much easier. Once I moved her into the driveway, I removed her cover to find a dirty boat underneath. I guess the wind blew dust under the cover and it settled in spots on the deck. There were a few areas where there was black mildew starting. I pulled out my great boat brush, mixed up a spray bottle of cleaner and gave her a quick wash down with the pressure nozzle of the hose and some scrubbing. I checked the bilge and it was still pretty empty. We have had rain since I moved the boat, so I will have to get the power on in the boat to put the bilge on automatic.

I spoke with my first mate this weekend and discussed fixing the lose seam I have in both sails. We both agreed that it would be easier to fix on the boat during a calm day, than unrolling them in the back yard and having to roll them up again. So sail repair will wait until she is in the water.

I also moved the dinghy and placed her on top on cider blocks so I can begin stripping the bottom for a layer of new fiberglass. I don't expect this to be too troublesome of a job. Once this is done, the dinghy should leak no more.

My list looks so big right now. There is a page and a half of work to complete in the next 5 weeks. I will have to spend some time each evening, plus I will take a few days off to give me a chance to really chop away at the list. We'll keep you all posted as we progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment