Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Changing seasons

The weather has been rainy for almost 2 weeks now. I had the opportunity to climb onboard and lay out my dodger base which is going to be made from ipe wood. It will mount onto the teak runners on the sides companion way hatch. So now I can begin the designing process.

I also checked the bilge and found it with just a little water inside. I know the boat leaked from the deck someplace during the rain last season. Now with the boat in the driveway, I can begin the sealing process of all deck items and then the rubber guard along the sides where the top and bottom are joined. I will run a small bead of clear silicon along the top of the rubber to make sure the water isn't coming in from there. The life line sanctions and some other hardware on deck will have to be checked and sealed.

I also have to get a replacement Windex vane as my aVane was stolen or we lost it on the way home from the marina last year. It wasn't there when we got home and I never checked to see if it was there when I took her home. I would also like to get a new VHF transceiver with DSC this season. I figure if I buy one piece of electronics per season, eventually I should be in good shape. I now have the Midland handheld VHF and two handheld GPS units. A new radio will require a new antenna.

There is so much on my list, I can't see me finishing by May. I think some of the stuff I will do once I get her in the water. The sewing of the sail in a couple places will have to wait until I get them on the boat. I'll sit in the cockpit one day and sew them up (While I have a fishing pole out the back.).

No comments:

Post a Comment