Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Spring is here

It was a great weekend in many ways. It was a holiday, giving us one more daye in the weekend to work on things. It was a perfect weekend weather wize for sailing. The fishing was fantastic with many people trying their luck throughout the bay. It was just a perfect weekend!

We got out to the boat on Saturday and unloaded some supplies. We also checked out the electrical as we are not getting power to the bilge pump. After about 20 minutes of checking I decided that I would bring my volt meter tomorrow and find the problem. After a run over the rigging and other items on board, we went out for a sail toward Staten Island. The wind was very confusing as it changed direction repeatidly. So we spent our sailing time finding and working with the wind. In the afternoon, the wind was just not there and we were cruising at about 1-1/2 mph.

We decided to head back to the mooring and troll a line behind the back on the way. I kept the speed to about 3 to 4 mph as that seemed to be a good trolling speed, but got no hits. When we got closer to the mooring field I ran the speed up to 5mph and BANG for our first hit and taker. It was a small Bluefish. After getting it back into the water we tried again, but started at 5mph. What do you know BANG again. I just could not stop this fish with the takle I was using. After it peeled off a good amount of line, I had no choice but to try to stop the run and the line gave way and broke. It had to be a big Bluefish or a Stripper.

In Sunday, I went back out by myself and the main reason was to fish. I had gone down in our basement and pulled out one of my heavier rod and reels to prevent any lines from breaking. I started with a 5mph troll just as I cleared the mooring field and BANG, a good size Blue. I released him and tossed the line out for another try and when I got the speed up again BANG. This routine went on for hours with a total of 14 fish being caught. The sizes were about 22" to 36". It was a fantastic day. There were people fishing all over and many were watching me catch one after another. After about 2 hours of this, my arms hurt and I was getting prtty tired of catching fish. I never thought I would hear myself say that, but it was true. I let every fish go after being caught, so all that I had to do is clean the blood up in the cockpit before my wife saw the mess I created.

When I got back, I tried to find the electrical problem and could not find it. I will need to put some more time into finding the electrical problem. All that I wanted now, was something to drink besides water and to relax someplace cool. I headed home to enjoy the rest of the day with the family.

Monday I finished the BBQ mount for the boat and plan on taking that there next weekend. I'll keep you posted and try to take some pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment