Monday, June 28, 2010

A hot weekend


I took some time off of work and thought I would enjoy myself sailing, but the heat was terrible. On Thursday it was hot and very humid. You were soaked within minutes and a dip in the bay was thought about. Did not do much, due to the heat, but managed to clean up the boat some. Friday was time to go back and finish cleaning up the boat. I did a pretty extensive job and then had time to go out for a sail. I had finished installing the bimini and when I went out, decided to put the bimini up to give some shelter from the sun. I just can't tell you how well opening the front hatch and putting the bimini up makes to the temperature in the cockpit of the boat. It is as close to air conditioning as you can get. The air comes in the front hatch rolls down along the floor and hull reducing the temperature to something less than what the air is outside. Sort of water cooled. When the air comes out the companionway it is much cooler than the air around you so it feels refreshing. Anyway, after a quick sail to Staten Island I can back to the mooring and secured her.



On Sunday I came back with Blue (The Firstmate). I had showed him all of the things I had changed over the past few weeks and he was shocked. Some of the things were, when you sail along side in the dinghy, I now set the rope so you wrap it around the first life line sanction tube and then the end goes back to the stern cleat where a loop goes around the cleat. This keeps the boat right along side of the sailboat and against the bumpers where it is suppose to be. I told him that we get the mainsail up before leaving the mooring as it is less hassle when you have the bimini in the way. There was other things I showed him and he thought that he was not going to be needed anymore as I had gotten organized for single handed sailing. Then Blue looked into the cabin and was surprised how neat and clean everything was.

We went out and sailed for a few hours before heading back for the mooring. I caught one bluefish from a rod trolling out the back and had another on for a little bit, but he threw the hook. Being we did not put the bimini up, we got burnt to a crisp out there. We returned to rehydrate our bodies with lots of cold beer at Millers Bar.

I guess that is it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment