Friday, April 23, 2010

Getting Her Ready

I have been working on designing the dodger and it isn't going as well as I thought it would. The curves on the tubing are not tight enough and make it look like a bubble on top of the companionway. My engineer told me to make a jig and fill the tubes with sand which will allow me to bend tighter corners. I did find all the hardware I needed on ebay and far less than the marine stores. I plan on using brass screws to mount the frame to the teak atop the companionway. I will try the fit again tomorrow.

Next is to bring all the stuff up from the basement and get the boat back in shape. The cushions, potti, sails, signal flares, life jackets, etc. Once I have everything in the boat, I can see what more I need to stow the gear properly.

I need to do a little cosmetic work in the cabin, but that will be about it. The outside is just about done with the exception of the touch up to the bottom paint. It seems every year they power wash the bottom and some of the bottom paint just blows off. I try to scuff up the surface to get good adhesion but the end of the season, another area will be off. Being the bottom paint lasts a few years and only requires me to touch it up, I am going to have to take it all off one day and prepare the bottom better then the person before me did. I have been using the Micron CSC, but just found Cukote by Sea Hawk which according to them is better. The cost of the product will be the deciding factor.

That's it for this writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment