Monday, October 11, 2010

End of the sailing season 2010

This past weekend was the last sailing for Lil Provo until next year.  After two fantastic days of sailing, she has to come out for the marine surveyor this week.  Since the storm when she was damaged, I have been trying to get the surveyor there to take a look and our most recent conversation was that he wants the boat out of the water.  Do I spend the money to have it hauled out and later put back in, or do I call it a year.  I elected to call it a year as I will be leaving for China a few weeks. 

Saturday was a fantastic day in all respects.  The sun was shining, the air was warm, and, most important, the wind was blowing.  I went out and fished for a while and caught a bunch of sea robins.  They were a lot of fun and I had one that had to be 6 or 7 pounds.  Huge in my book!  After fishing I raised the sails and took a cruise around the bay before heading back to the mooring.

Sunday it was myself and Blue, our first mate, who ventured out early to get as much sailing in as possible.  We sailed to New York and back at least 3 times, sailed to Keansburg Pier, and then west out toward Perth Amboy.  We were out 4 or 5 hours and it was great.  The wind was strong and from the southwest, giving us good speed and a great heal.  At times we passed the 20 degree mark for healing over.  We were both up on the highside leaning back off the boat just trying to keep her down.  There weren't many days like this during the summer.  The fall always has the best sailing days. We finally had to head to the mooring as we both had plans for the late afternoon.

I will be adding to this blog as things happen with Lil Provo.  I am also looking at a couple larger boats and may upgrade for next year. We'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment